Monday, November 2, 2015

Epic Fortnight: Day 1

Miles Traveled: 593

States Covered: Michigan, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois

Trains Spotted: 1

Christmas Songs Listened To: 0.5

Route: US 24

Okay, Sports Fans, it's finally happened.  The epic road trip we've all been waiting for has finally commenced.  And by "we", I mean "me".  There was limited amount of time for prep, but Dad and I managed to make it out of the house this morning by 7:30, we collected our free breakfast sandwiches, and were on our way!

... Until Dad decided he really did want his leather jacket, so we went back to the parents' place to pick it up.  So we'll say our honest departure time was more like 8:00.

Priorities.
 Now, as you may have noticed in the description of the blog, we like to road trip old school style.  And since today was mostly just a LOT of driving (all Dad, he's a beast), I figured I could shine some light on how these particular Fritsches like to take on the road.  There wasn't too much people watching (a.k.a. people judging) or grand adventuring today, so don't worry, I'm not sacrificing other content by giving some exposition.

We're cooler than you.
Number one rule: NO GPS.  That's right.  Whoever isn't driving has to have the giant atlas on her lap and pay attention to roadsigns.  It's like a game!  Maps are fun!  Plus, no major freeways, so you do have to pay attention, because you never know when your tiny little two-lane highway is going to veer off to the left with limited signage, and you almost end up continuing straight because both of you are distracted by a house fire.

Other rules include: No chain hotels (the place we're staying tonight is called "The Althoff Motel), no fast food joints, lots of coffee, NO COUNTRY MUSIC, and everything is secretly a competition.  Trying to spot out of state license plates is a constant activity.

I'm pretty wiped out, AND IT FEELS LIKE MIDNIGHT BECAUSE OF THE TIME CHANGE/GOING OVER STATE LINES/IMPENETRABLE DARKNESS, so I think I'll just leave you with a few highlights...

Dad (at the beginning of the trip): There are two things I don't want to do on this trip.  I don't want to be a complete cheapskate when it comes to things like tipping.  I want my default to be "generous".  Also, I don't want to make everyone bend to my will.  I don't want to go across the country expecting things to be just the way I'm used to or want them to be.  I want America to leave it's imprint on me.

Me: So... you're saying you don't want to be an old white man?

This road sign in Indiana:

Grab your passport.
Seeing a woman smoking at a gas station.

Knowing we won't have to go back through Ohio for another two weeks.

And whatever THIS is:

You don't get that on the super freeways.

P.S. Do you know where US 24 originates?  How about where it ends?


 

 

1 comment:

  1. I thought Peru and Mexico were both south of anywhere you are....?

    ReplyDelete