Tuesday, November 3, 2015

Epic Fortnight: Day 2

(This post is from November 3, 2015, but could not be posted on that date because of technical difficulties.  Word to the wise, establishments called "The Dusty Farmer Motel" may not have the most reliable Wifi.)

Miles Traveled: 605

States Covered: Missouri, Kansas

Rivers Crossed: Mississippi, Missouri 

Trains Spotted: 0

Last Time I Washed My Hair: Saturday

Route: US 36

Another long slog across Middle America today, starting at 7:00 am and rolling into our final destination around 7:30 tonight.  Even though we thought we were getting an early start, we somehow managed to be the last people out of our rooms.  After a brief stop in the front office to procure a shot of coffee to hold off the inevitable caffeine headache while we searched for real coffee, we readied ourselves to take in whatever landscapes the day would afford us.

Dementors. 
This was our view as we crossed the Mississippi River.  But, eventually, the fog burned off, and we got to gaze upon the great planes of Missouri and Kansas.

All that open land gave me a lot of time to think, mostly about the country, which is not something I tend to do if I want to keep a pleasant disposition.  It seemed unavoidable, though, as I was presented with the "Heartland".  I understand that there are farmers, and I'm happy about that.  I know that if I want food on my plate, people need to grown/raise/slaughter it.  I'm glad that there are people in the world who are passionate about working the land.  And just because I have absolutely no interest in it, doesn't mean I look down on that lifestyle.  I don't want to be a doctor, either, but that doesn't mean I don't respect the profession.  People in the country are living honest lives, but what do they DO?  With the advent of all the big farms, are farmers still working from dawn to dusk?  All day, everyday?  My world revolves so much around theatre, museums, browsing libraries, and watching shows from the BBC, it's just hard to conceptualize a different life.  Does that make me an asshole?

Am I an asshole?  You think that you're a level headed, middle class type individual, but then you cruise into the Kansas country side in your VW wagon, just trying to find a bottle of sparkling water.  Do I think I'm better than these people?  It's something to think about.

Also, it's so easy to see why America was able to dominate during World War II based on resources alone.  Look at how much FOOD we were able to produce!  And are still producing.  Why can't we feed the world?  Why is so much of this food wasted?  Do we really need that many cows?  And this is from someone who lives for hamburgers.

These were the types of thoughts that were going through my head, when all of a sudden I saw a sign for the Walt Disney Hometown Museum in the middle of Missouri, and screamed so loudly that Dad nearly drove off the road.

It was closed.  We missed in by three days, and I was quite disappointed.

Made it to/through Kansas, today, though!  Always exciting.  I was on the lookout for Dorothy and the Winchesters.

Other highlights:

TWO towns were completely decked out for Christmas.

Carry On My Wayward Son played while driving through Kansas.

There was an advertisement for a production of The Wizard of Oz on the radio... in Kansas.

My breakfast of two eggs, toast, and unlimited coffee was $3.50.




No comments:

Post a Comment