Sunday, November 8, 2015

Epic Fortnight: Day 7

Miles Hiked: 3

Today we went back to the Grand Canyon to hike down the Bright Angel Trail.  Dad had originally said that we were going to hike for six miles, three miles out and three miles back, so I emotionally and physically prepared myself for the task.  It couldn't be harder than being a pirate, right?  I was going to conquer (at least a little bit) of the Grand Canyon!

And so was Dad.
So happy and rugged.
It took about two hours to get to the mile and a half, and I guess the rule of thumb is that it takes twice as long to go back up as it did to go down.  That meant we were looking at a total of six hours of hiking, which would put us right around sundown.  So we turned around, because we wanted to catch the Polar Express at 7:30.

Here's the thing.  It only took us an hour and twenty minutes to make it back up.  I had conserved so much energy going down... I thought we were going twice as long!  And I was no where near spent.  I was ready to go.  Look at me go!
Woo!
Apparently I was just bounding back up, what can I say, I had hit my stride and I was not pushing it.  I was disappointed.  But hiking was so much fun!  It's amazing what the human body can do and endure, and I wasn't even near my edge.  I may have pushed Dad to his limited, though.

Oops.
That's Dad gasping for breath.
I even ended up carrying the backpack.  I want to come back, and I want to come back with someone who can push me.  I want to know the limit.  What can I say, moderation is not my thing.

Don't worry, Dad didn't die.  We both made it back to the top and rewarded ourselves with ice-cream.

The conclusion was that I am a mountain goat and Dad is a crippled sloth, his words, not mine.  That left us with plenty of time to get back to Williams, AZ (which is where we are staying) to make the 7:30 ride for the Polar Express.  That's right, Christmas lovers, the Polar Express is in Williams, AZ on Route 66.  A beautiful old train, which you board in your pajamas, and are served hot cocoa and cookies, and there's Santa and the North Pole, and someone reads the story and you get a BELL!!!!!!

I was so excited that we just happened to stumble upon this Christmas miracle.
            
But let's see if you notice what I didn't on that little calendar.

That's right.  No train on Sunday.

Well, it looks like I'm just going to have to come back to Arizona.

No comments:

Post a Comment